Application Process for Requesting CertificatesOkayama University has amended its policies on how certificates are issued to graduates * . In the past, student identification or a letter of proxy (permission to go in place of the student) was not necessary. However, now graduates and proxies will be required to provide proof of their identities to better protect the students’ personal information. Please note that this identification must be issued by a public agency. Also, the application for certificates can only be made in person, by proxy, or through mail. Application via e-mail, fax, or phone call will not be accepted. All documents used for application will not be used for any other purposes without the owners’ consent. Applicants are required to apply in advance as the processing of applications may take up to a week.
Applying in personApplications need to be made within the office of your relative faculty or graduate school between the regular office hours of 8:30 AM to 5:15PM, Monday to Friday. Offices will not be open during national holidays, the Obon holidays (around 13-15,Aug.), and the New Year holiday (29th Dec to 3rd Jan) Please bring the following: Applicant Identification**
Applying by proxyApplication through proxy will require
- 1) a letter of permission***, signed by the graduate requesting a certificate
- 2) a copy of the graduates’ valid identification**
- 3) the proxy’s valid identification**.
Applying through the mailPlease send your application to the office of your relative faculty or graduate school Include the following:
- 1)A photocopy of Identification**
- 2)Application form （Can be in any format，but MUST include the following）
- ・Name （Maiden name if applicable） along with Japanese reading （Kana）. （If applicant’s name does not have Chinese characters （kanji）, I.e. An English name, please write the original spelling in Roman （Block） letters）
- ・Date of Birth
- ・Current Address
- ・Contact Phone Number （the number we can reach you directly）
- ・Student ID Number （If remembered）
- ・Your relative Faculty, Department or Graduate School, Major etc.
- ・Date of Graduation
- ・Type of the Certificate（s） requested and Number of copies needed （Please also specify your faculty or/and graduate school）
- ・Purpose for issue of certificate. （If you need to submit it elsewhere, please specify where to）
- ・Please specify whether the certificate needs to be sealed or not
- ・Graduate School of Natural Science and Technology （Master’s Course Mathematics and Physics， Molecular Sciences， Biological Sciences and Earth Science）
- ・Graduate School of Environmental Science （Doctor’s Course）
- 3)Stamped and addressed envelope****
- a.Copy of applicant’s Identification**
- b.Copy of Proxy’s Identification**
- c.Application form (with address and contact number of the proxy)
- d. Letter of Permission***
- e. Stamped and addressed envelope ****
For those applying by proxy through the mail, please also enclose the following documents:
* Included within “Graduates”, are those who have graduated from university, and /or graduate schools, non-degree students such as research students, and those who have withdrawn or have been expelled from the university.
** Valid pieces of identification include: Driving License, National Health Insurance Card, Certificate Of Alien Registration, Basic Resident Registration Card (must include address), valid Okayama University Identification Card, or other official documents that can verify identity. For those who have had a change of name, the original copies of the official documents that can verify the change of name are also necessary (Only documents issued within the last 3 months will be accepted). These will be used to verify your identity. (For example, extract of family register)
Sample Permission Letter:
I (Full Name), hereby grant approval to (Full Name of Proxy), who will serve as my authorized proxy for the purpose of applying for a certificate (certificates) on my behalf.
－－－ －－－－－－－－－ －－－－－－－－－－－
Date Applicant Name Applicant Signature
**** Please prepare a 24cm x 33.2cm envelope with appropriate postage fee as follows
|Requested number of certificate copies||Postage Fee (stamp)||By Express Mail|
|1 – 2||¥120||Please add an extra ¥270 stamp to your envelope along with“sokutatsu”(Express) written in red on the envelope|
|3 – 6||¥140|
|7 – 10||¥200|
Postage fees are the domestic listings as of: May 2010. Please ensure that the postage fee is sufficient, as we will request for the insufficient postage fee (stamp) by mail.
The International Center is able to provide all overseas applicants with the appropriate postage fee. Again, please ensure that the postage fee is the correct amount in Japanese Yen.
Should you have any enquires, please feel free to contact us
Academic Affairs Department – Academic Planning Division
TEL: 086-251-8423 / 086-251-8424
Email: daf8423*adm.okayama-u.ac.jp (* = @)
Administrative Office of International Center
Email: kokusai*cc.okayama-u.ac.jp (* = @)