Procedures for Staying in Japan

Receiving a Visa Extension

All procedures related to staying in Japan are collectively referred to as “immigration procedures.” To stay in Japan beyond the period permitted upon your arrival, you must apply for a visa extension at the Immigration Bureau.

1.When to apply: The Immigration Bureau accepts visa extension applications about three months before your visa expires. Be sure to apply for an extension before your visa expires.

Please inform the staff in charge at the Center for Global Partnerships and Education if you need an extension of your Period of Stay.

2.To apply, you will need the following documents:

  • a) Application form for Extension of Period of Stay (The name of the sponsoring organization and official seal of the organization are required.)
  • b) Certificate of Student Status (Not needed if applying at the Center for Global Partnerships and Education)
  • c) Transcript of School Records (Regular students only)
  • d) Certificate of Research Contents: prepared by your supervisor [format is optional] (Research students only)
  • e) Research Plan: prepared by your supervisor[format is optional] (Research students only)
  • f) Passport
  • g) A copy of your Resident Card (both sides)
  • h) Financial Supporting Documents (such as Certificate of Scholarship Award, a copy of the applicant's bank book, wage slip or certificate of payment from your employer)
  • i) A copy of Permit to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted
  • j) Certificate of Tuition Fee Exemption
  • k) National Health Insurance Card
  • l) Certificate for Payment of Fee: 4,000 yen (revenue stamp is available at the SEIKYO Co-op or post office.)
  • m) Photo (4cm×3cm): for the Resident Card

※Other documents may be required depending on the conditions for the extension.

Procedure and Items Necessary for the Application for Extension of Period of Stay[PDF]

All International Students
Application for Extension of Period of Stay First fill out the form “For Applicant” Parts 1-3 and submit it to the Center for Global Partnerships and Education (CGPE) and then submit it to the Immigration Bureau
Make sure Okayama University’s seal is affixed to the for, “For Organization” Parts 1-2, and submit it to the Immigration Bureau
Download (J)
Passport Copies
Resident card
Student ID Card
Revenue stamp (4,000 yen) Available at post offices and convenience stores
Document proving your ability to cover living expenses Copy of your bankbook(s), documents to verify the exchanges of currencies, etc.
Japanese Government Scholarship Students
Certificate of Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship Student Submit it to the CGPE (issued after three business days)
Students on JASSO Honors Scholarships
Certificate of JASSO Honors Scholarship Submit it to the CGPE (issued after three business days)
Undergraduate and Graduate Students
Certificate of Enrollment Automatic issuing machine
Academic Transcript Automatic issuing machine
Research Students
Certificate of Enrollment Submit it to the CGPE (issued after three business days) or automatic issuing machine

Temporarily Leaving/Re-entering Japan

Temporary Leave from Japan and Re-entry
When international students temporarily wish to go home or travel abroad, they must report to the section for international students at their affiliated faculty or graduate school. Foreign nationals in possession of a valid passport and resident card who will be re-entering Japan within 1 year※ of their departure to continue their activities in Japan will, in principle, not be required to apply for a re-entry permit.
※If your period of stay expires within 1 year after your departure, please ensure that you re-enter Japan before the expiration of your period of stay.

Be sure to present your Resident Card at the time of your departure, and indicate your intention of re-entering Japan.

Flow of Procedures

  1. Download and fill in the document
  2. Receive permission from you're your academic advisor, and have him/her affix a seal to the Temporary Leave Notification
  3. Submit the Temporary Leave Notification to the International Affairs Office Academic Affairs Division

When departing, show your Resident Card at airport immigration. Also, make sure that you return to Japan within one year.


A “provisional re-entry permit system” was introduced in July 2012 as a part of revisions to the immigration control system. This essentially abolished the need for foreigners holding a valid passport and Resident Card to receive a re-entry permit, provided that they return to Japan within one year of their departure. For details, see the link below.

Ministry of Justice: New Residency Management System

Inviting Family to Japan/ Having Family Stay in Japan

If you are from a country that requires dependent visas, in order to invite your family in your home country to stay in Japan for the short term, you must submit the following documents to the Immigration Bureau and receive a Certificate of Eligibility for Residence Status, which your family will need at the Japanese embassy or consulate to receive a visa. However, family members permitted to stay in Japan are limited to your spouse and children.

Necessary Documents:

  • Certificate of Eligibility for Residence Status
    (available at the Immigration Bureau or for download (J))
  • Document proving your ability to support dependents
    (e.g., Certificate of Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship Student, Certificate of Receipt of Scholarship, a bank balance certificate, or a document proving money sent from your home country)
  • Certificate of Enrollment
  • Document proving family relationship (e.g., marriage certificate, birth certificate, or family register)
  • Photograph (a clear 4×3 cm photograph with no hat and a blank background)


If you come to Japan with your family and become pregnant in Japan, you should discuss with your spouse and also with the Okayama University Health Care Center and your academic advisor about whether you want to deliver the baby in Japan or in your home country, and whether or not you want to take a temporary leave of absence from studies before making a decision.
If you decide to deliver your baby in Japan, the following procedures are required.
Have your doctor or midwife issue a Birth Certificate after the delivery.
Necessary procedures:

(1) Birth Certificate
You must take your Birth Certificate and a Maternal and Child Health Handbook, and notify the registration division of your local government office within 14 days of childbirth. You will need a Birth Certificate and a Maternal and Child Health Handbook. If you need to you can acquire Status of Residence, and receive Proof of Birth Registration.

(2) Acquisition of Status of Residence for the Child
Apply to the Immigration Bureau for Status of Residence using the Birth Certificate within 30 days of birth. You will need Proof of Birth Registration (you can request it from the local government office when carrying out the procedures in (1)), the Resident Card of the parents and the passports of the parents. A Resident Card will be issued after the application is made.

This is not required if the child will leave Japan within 60 days of birth, but be sure to apply if staying for any longer.

(3) National Health Insurance
If you wish to enroll your child in National Health Insurance, apply at the local government office where you live along with (1) and (2). Note that if you, the mother, are enrolled in National Health Insurance, you are eligible to receive a childbirth lump-sum payment. You can also apply for enrollment in National Health Insurance at the same time.

(4) Infant Medical Assistance
It is possible to be a recipient of an assistance program that partially covers expenses for receiving treatment at a medical institution while the child is an infant. Please check with local government office where you live for details.

(5) Child Support Allowance
A child allowance is offered to mothers caring for children who have not yet finished elementary school (Aged 0 to 12 years). Please check with local government office where you live for details.