Living in Okayama University

Living in Okayama University

1.University Calendar and National Holidays

2.Tuition Fees

3.Health Care

4.Campus life

5.Daily Life

6.Campus Map

1.University Calendar and National Holidays

University Calendar
April 1
Academic Year begins.
April 2
Entrance Ceremony
August 1

September 30
Summer Vacation begins.

Summer Vacation ends.
October 22
University Anniversary

January 4
Winter Vacation begins.

Winter Vacation ends.
March 23
Commencement Ceremony
March 31
Academic Year ends.

National Holidays
January 1
New Year’s Day
2nd Monday in January
Coming-of-Age Day
February 11
National Foundation Day
March 20*
Vernal Equinox Day
April 29
Showa Day
May 3
Constitution Memorial Day
May 4
Greenery Day
May 5
Children’s Day
3rd Monday in July
Marine Day
August 11
Mountain Day
3rd Monday in September
Respect-for-the-Aged Day
September 23*
Autumnal Equinox Day
2nd Monday in October
Health and Sports Day
November 3
Culture Day
November 23
Labor Thanksgiving Day
December 23
The Emperor’s Birthday

+ If a national holiday falls on Sunday, the following Monday is the substitute holiday.
* It shifts one or two days depending on the year.

2.Tuition Fees and Scholarships


The fees charged to students at Okayama University are the tuition fee, the entrance fee, and the application fee of Okayama University. International students from universities that have signed non-collection of fee agreements with Okayama University are exempted.

Tuition Fee
Admission Fee
Application Charge
282,000 17,000
Graduate Students
282,000 30,000
Research Students
84,600 9,800
Auditing Students
yen/1 credit
28,200 9,800
 2)Tuition / Admission Fee Exemption

Full-time degree-seeking undergraduates and graduate students who have excellent academic records and yet have difficulties in continuing their academic study because of financial destitution might be exempted from paying half or the total of the tuition and admission fees upon application.
(Non- degree-seeking students such as research students, auditors, and special students that receive scholarships from their own government do not receive this exemption.)

For more detailed information, check the bulletin board and go to our '学生生活'(Student Life) (Japanese only) page.

※office in charge: Student Support Division,
 Academic Affairs Department



3.Health Care

 1)Health Service Center (phone:086-251-7223)

The Health Service Center provides physical and mental health care services for students and the staff of the university.

Health Center services

  • 1.Periodical medical examination
      April: for all students
      October: for international students who came to Japan in autumn of that year
  • 2.Special medical examination necessary for particular physical education courses or extracurricular activities
  • 3.Health consultation (physical, mental)
  • 4.Health education
  • 5.Health care for sick students
  • 6.First Aid
  • 7.Issuing health certificates (to the students who had medical examination)
  • 8.Other affairs concerned with health

Feel free to drop in Health Service Center when you get hurt, feel ill, worry about your health, want to have a checkup (height, weight, body fat rate, blood pressure, bone density), or want to get information on health in daily life (dietary life, exercise). Private matters such as facts about disease are strictly kept secret. The Center can also provide referrals to clinics or hospitals if necessary.
 Service Hours: 8:30am - 5:00pm
At night and on holidays, medical facilities near the university are available.

Schedule of outclinics in Health Service Center

  • A National health insurance card is not necessary to visit the Health Center. There are no medical fees.
  • For sudden illness, the Center is open during the office hours (8:30 - 17:00 on weekdays).
  • A Health certificate can be issued after medical examination free of charge if requested.
  • Consultation times are subject to change.
 2)National Health Insurance

All persons who have “College Student” visa status more than 3 months must enroll in National Health Insurance. Applications are accepted at the municipal office of the city (town, village) where you live. Insurance premiums vary according to income. Please enquire at the municipal office (In many cases, for international students, whose income in Japan is not much, receive a reduction in the monthly premium after completing the procedure.)
National Health Insurance covers 70% of medical costs. Individuals must pay the 30% balance to the treatment center. A National Health Insurance card must be presented at the reception of the medical treatment center.

e.g.: In the case of a medical fee costing 10,000 yen:
10,000 yen × 0.7= 7,000 yen (National Health Insurance covers 70% of the medical fees)
10,000 yen × 0.3= 3,000 yen (personal liability 30% of the medical fees)

 3) Personal Accident Insurance for Students and Additional Indemnity Insurance

① Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research
Indemnification will be paid when a student is injured during curricular activities, school events, university affiliated extracurricular activities, commuting between school facilities

② Additional Indemnity Insurance
Indemnification will be paid when a student injures or causes injury to a third party during curricular activities, school events, university affiliated volunteer activities, and commuting between the university and volunteer activities.
  Plan A: Curricular activities, school events, and commuting to school (including the coverage of Plan B)
  Plan B: Internship, nursing care recognized as an extracurricular activity, teaching practice, child-care practice, or volunteer activities as well as during commuting to and from the sites of such activities recognized by the university as curricular activities, school events, or university affiliated extracurricular activities.
  Plan C: (for medical students) Curricular activities, school events and commuting to school (including the coverage of Plan B)

+ All undergraduate and graduate students (regular students only) of Okayama University must purchase insurance coverage from Plan A, B, or C.
+ Okayama University students purchase Plan A (Medical students are insured by Plan C)

③ For further information, please contact the Student Support Division in the Academic Affairs Department. (phone:086-251-7185)

 4) Insurance offered by the University CO-OP and Additional Indemnity Insurance

① Student Mutual Benefit.
 This is mutual aid personal injury and illness.
② Personal Liability Insurance for Students
 This compensates a third party for injury or damage to a third party’s property caused by the policy holder.
③ For further information, please contact the University CO- OP.

4. Campus Life

 1) Eating/Shopping on Campus (Cafeteria, Restaurant, Campus Store)

Okayama University Tsushima campus, has cafeterias and a restaurant offering meals for lower prices than restaurants or coffee shops off the campus. The Campus store (CO-OP) is a consumer co-operative that sells textbooks, dictionaries, books, stationery, PCs and other products useful for university life (CO- OP membership costs 4,000 yen and is refunded on graduation).
Okayama University Shikata campus has many restaurants, bookstores and other stores on and off campus.
 ※CO-OP offers Halal Food on both campuses.

 2) University Library

Okayama University Library has a large number of books.
There are branch libraries on Shikata Campus and at the Institute of Plant Science and Resources (Kurashiki) besides the Central Library.

Service Hours (during schooling periods)
The Central Library Monday - Friday 8:00 ~ 23:00
Saturday & Sunday 10:00 ~ 18:00
Shikata Branch Library Monday - Friday 9:00 ~ 21:00
Saturday 10:00 ~ 17:00
Institute of Plant Science and Resources Branch Library Monday - Friday 9:00 ~ 17:00

 +Lending Service
A Student ID card is needed to enter the library and borrow books. Students who don’t have a Student ID (research student or exchange student) need to apply for a ‘Library card’ at the library.

 3) Language Education Center

The Language Education Center gives Japanese courses and courses introducing Japanese culture for international students.

 4) Extracurricular Activities

Okayama University has many cultural and athletic clubs and circles. To join one gives you a chance to get acquainted with Japanese students making your campus life more fruitful. Further information about clubs and circles is available at the Student Affairs Division in the Academic Affairs Department. (Phone: 086-251-7183)

5. Daily Life

 1) Foreign Money Exchange into Yen

You can exchange foreign money into yen at banks or post offices. (Some foreign money can’t be changed at banks or post offices.)
Japanese paper money and coin have following varieties.

Paper money 10,000 / 5,000 / (2,000) / 1,000
Coin 500 / 100 / 50 / 10 / 5 / 1
 2) Mail

Letters or postcards can be dropped into neighbourhood mailboxes.
Postage stamps and postcards are sold at post offices and convenience stores.
If you wish to send parcels or if you receive any notifications from the post office please bring the notice to the relevant post office.

 3) Bank

It is dangerous to carry cash with you in daily life or to keep it in your room. A bank account is the most secure method to safe guard money. In addition, scholarships can be paid into your account, and utility charges can be directly deducted. If you have a bank card, you can withdraw money from ATMs on and off campus.

 4) Telephone

There are many public telephones on and off campus. Calls can be made with coins or telephone cards (prepaid).

  • Local call: Phone number
  • National long-distance call: Area code + Phone number
  • International call: 001 or 0061 or 0033 + 010 + Country code + Area code + Phone number
 5) Bus/Taxi
Bus: Buses run without a conductor in Japan. You get on a bus at the rear door, and get a numbered ticket indicating the bus fare zone from the ticket vending machine by the door.
On getting off, you drop the numbered ticket and the fare which your numbered ticket number on the fare display shows in the fare box by the driver seat, and get off at the front door.
Taxi: You can take a taxi at ease in Japan as its fare strictly depends on the taximeter.
Taxies are available at taxi stands or by hand-shaping on the street when they are vacant.
You can also take a taxi by telephone.
 6) Emergency

Police: To report a crime or traffic accident, dial 110 without area code (toll-free).
Fire Department: To report a fire or request an ambulance, dial 119 without area code (toll-free).

Dialing these numbers anywhere in Japan will connect you with the nearest police or fire department, 24 hours a day.
You can also dial them without area code by a cellular phone.

6.Campus Map