Okayama University


Off Campus Life -Living in Okayama-


Off Campus Life -Living in Okayama-


1.National Holidays

National Holidays
January 1
New Year’s Day
2nd Monday in January
Coming-of-Age Day
February 11
National Foundation Day
March 20*
Vernal Equinox Day
April 29
Showa Day
May 3
Constitution Memorial Day
May 4
Greenery Day
May 5
Children’s Day
3rd Monday in July
Marine Day
August 11
Mountain Day
3rd Monday in September
Respect-for-the-Aged Day
September 23*
Autumnal Equinox Day
2nd Monday in October
Health and Sports Day
November 3
Culture Day
November 23
Labor Thanksgiving Day
December 23
The Emperor’s Birthday

+ If a national holiday falls on Sunday, the following Monday is the substitute holiday.
* It shifts one or two days depending on the year.

2. Daily Life

 (1) Foreign Money Exchange into Yen

You can exchange foreign money into yen at banks or post offices. (Some foreign money can’t be changed at banks or post offices.)
Japanese paper money and coin have following varieties.

Paper money 10,000 / 5,000 / (2,000) / 1,000
Coin 500 / 100 / 50 / 10 / 5 / 1
 (2) Mail

Letters or postcards can be dropped into neighbourhood mailboxes.
Postage stamps and postcards are sold at post offices and convenience stores.
If you wish to send parcels or if you receive any notifications from the post office please bring the notice to the relevant post office.

 (3) Bank

It is dangerous to carry cash with you in daily life or to keep it in your room. A bank account is the most secure method to safe guard money. In addition, scholarships can be paid into your account, and utility charges can be directly deducted. If you have a bank card, you can withdraw money from ATMs on and off campus.

 (4) Telephone

There are many public telephones on and off campus. Calls can be made with coins or telephone cards (prepaid).

  • Local call: Phone number
  • National long-distance call: Area code + Phone number
  • International call: 001 or 0061 or 0033 + 010 + Country code + Area code + Phone number
 (5) Bus/Taxi
Bus: Buses run without a conductor in Japan. You get on a bus at the rear door, and get a numbered ticket indicating the bus fare zone from the ticket vending machine by the door.
On getting off, you drop the numbered ticket and the fare which your numbered ticket number on the fare display shows in the fare box by the driver seat, and get off at the front door.
Taxi: You can take a taxi at ease in Japan as its fare strictly depends on the taximeter.
Taxies are available at taxi stands or by hand-shaping on the street when they are vacant.
You can also take a taxi by telephone.
 (6) Emergency

Police: To report a crime or traffic accident, dial 110 without area code (toll-free).
Fire Department: To report a fire or request an ambulance, dial 119 without area code (toll-free).

Dialing these numbers anywhere in Japan will connect you with the nearest police or fire department, 24 hours a day.
You can also dial them without area code by a cellular phone.

3.Health and Safety

Health and Safety

4.Part-time Jobs

International students in Japan with a student visa are, as a rule, not allowed to work, or do any other activity that is unrelated to their studies. However, students who have difficulty paying tuition fees and living expenses on an allowance alone can work for up to 28 hours a week. These students need to apply for "Permission to Engage in Activity Other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence" at their local Immigration Bureau. During holidays, the daily working hour limit is eight hours.
If you wish to take on a part-time job, you should first discuss with your academic advisor and ask for his/her and receive permission, and then apply for permission directly at the Immigration Bureau.

To apply, you will need the following documents.

  1. Application for Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted Application Form (You can download it from the Ministry of Justice website, or get a paper copy from the International Affairs Office.)
  2. Passport
  3. Residence Card

Although the work hour limit during extended holidays is up to eight hours a day, students should not work so hard that it interferes with their studies or health.

Students are not allowed to work in adult entertainment or related businesses (e.g., bars, “snack” pubs, nightclubs, pachinko parlors, mahjong halls, and video game arcades).

In order to comfortably settle into life in Japan, the University recommends not working part time during the first three months of your arrival.

Please be sure to always discuss your plans with and receive permission to work from your academic advisor.

While working part-time, you must carry with you either your “Residence Card” or a copy of your “Permission to Engage in Activity Other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted”.

※You can find some part-time jobs on the bulletin board at the Co-op. But, new international students must take “Campus Life Orientation for New International Students” before starting a part-time job.