Okayama University and International Baccalaureate
Okayama University was the first national university in Japan to introduce IB admissions in 5 faculties and one program from 2012, and all 11 faculties from 2015. As a general rule, the entrance examination method throughout the university is mainly document screening (including interviews in some faculties). This is because Okayama University has confirmed that IB education and IB diploma qualifications can be fully evaluated as equivalent to university entrance qualifications, through visits to IB schools in Japan and overseas, and by holding lectures and study sessions on IB education. In the IB entrance examination, the subjects to be taken in the IB curriculum and their grades, are specified as per the admission policies of each faculty and department.
After enrollment, full-time faculty members will support IB students in their studies and campus life. We regularly conduct interviews and questionnaire surveys to understand the satisfaction, anxiety and worries of IB students, and provide advice and support tailored to each individual student. There is also a LINE social networking platform, as a place for communication and consultation between IB students and the IB advisor, at all times. In 2021, Okayama University set up an IB Promotion Office, where full-time faculty and staff was stationed, and we plan to increase the number of IB admissions in all 10 faculties and 1 International Program.
Currently (as of April 1st, 2021), Okayama University has a total of 82 IB students enrolled, including 18 graduates, 50% of whom are from IB schools in 34 prefectures in Japan and 50% are from 30 countries, worldwide. IB students play an active role in various globalization activities that the University is working on as an institution which has adopted the Top Global University Project, as a Super Global University (SGU). So far, 11 out of 18 IB graduates have joined the workforce in Japan (including 2 at Okayama University Hospital), and 7 have moved on to graduate school.
Okayama University provides information and answers questions regarding university admissions and post admissions, at college fairs, open campus and IB schools, and online via zoom webinars and online booths, sponsored by the Japan University Consortium. If you are interested in our university, please feel free to apply to any of our 10 faculties and 1 International Program. We look forward to welcoming you at Okayama University.
Why did IB students choose Okayama University?
(9 year Feedback from enrolled IB Students/ IB College Counselors /Parents )
- Does not require the National Center Test
- Recognizes the IB diploma without imposing any other tests
- Okayama University has a good understanding of IB education
- Admission Policies are easy to understand
- Faculties have clear subject and grade requirements
- Can apply to most faculties with documents only
- Offers Spring and Fall admissions
- The total IBDP score requirement is reasonable
- Recommended by senior IB students/IB College Counselors and IB PTA members
- Siblings who are IB students study at Okayama University
- Okayama University has a strong IB student support system
- Many study abroad programs without extra tuition fees
- National University with low tuition fees; global image
- Overall cost of living in Okayama is cheap
- Near to own/parents/relatives hometown
Dr. Sabina Mahmood, MD, Ph.D.
Director of IB Promotion Office
*Okayama University Medical School Alumni
*IBO Certified IB Biology and CAS Instructor
*IB-Student Advisor since 2015
*Deeply involved in :
- IB student recruitment
- IB student support
- IB Education
- IB Research
- Promoting IB based education in Japanese Higher Education