International Baccalaureate Admission to be Implemented from the Academic Year 2012
February 14, 2011
Okayama University will implement International Baccalaureate Admission from the academic year 2012.
The International Baccalaureate Diploma is equivalent to a third year high school qualification which is awarded to students who complete the standardized international curriculum authorized by International Baccalaureate Organization and pass the final examination.
Okayama University has determined that the International Baccalaureate (IB) program represents achievement beyond the standard high school program. Starting in the academic year 2012, the university will grant admission to applicants of International Baccalaureate Diploma holders based on document review and assessment only (excluding some faculties and courses).
Applicants who are awarded an International Baccalaureate Diploma in 2011, reach age 18 as of March 31, 2012, and satisfy the requirements of the International Baccalaureate qualification specified by the university are eligible to apply. Those who obtained the diploma in Japan are eligible to apply.
Okayama University is the first public university to accept International Baccalaureate Diploma holders. Okayama University has one of its major educational goals the acquisition of “a cosmopolitan quality on the basis of cross-cultural understanding” in addition to guaranteeing the provision of academic skills to exceptional students. Okayama University believes these goals can be facilitated by actively accepting more International Baccalaureate Diploma holders.
The details are as follows:
1. Application period - August, 2011
2. Admission policy - Applicants should demonstrate they have:
■ a cosmopolitan way of thinking and the willingness to act as a group leader in campus life; and,
■ excellent communication, problem solving and logical thinking skills.
3. Departments and courses seeking applicants
There are a limited number of places in the following departments and courses:
Faculty of Science [Department of Mathematics, Department of Physics, Department of Chemistry, Department of Biology, Department of Earth Sciences]
Medical School [Faculty of Health Sciences (Department of Nursing, Department of Radiological Technology, Department of Medical Technology)]
Faculty of Engineering [Department of Mechanical Engineering and Systems Engineering, Department of Electrical/Electronic and Communication Engineering, Department of Information Engineering, Department of Chemical engineering and Biotechnology]
Faculty of Agriculture [Department of Agricultural Sciences]
Matching Program Course
4. Eligibility for Application
The applicant must fulfill all of the following requirements:
1. The applicant has the International Baccalaureate Diploma awarded in 2011 by the International Baccalaureate, a foundation based on the Swiss Civil Code, and will be at least 18 years of age as of March 31, 2012.
2. The applicant must satisfy ＜１＞and ＜2＞ of the following criteria for International Baccalaureate qualification:
＜１＞. The applicant has taken either Japanese A1 or Japanese A2, with a grade of 4 or above, and
＜2＞. The applicant has taken the courses designated by Okayama University at higher level, with grades of 4 or above.
3. The applicant has a strong desire to study at Okayama University, and be committed to enroll if he/she passes the final screening.
5. Selection methods
1. Faculty of Science, Faculty of Engineering and Faculty of Agriculture
Document review and assessment only (Transcript of Academic Records and a personal letter of recommendation)
2. Faculty of Health Sciences (Medical school) and Matching Program Course
Document review and assessment (academic transcript and a personal letter of recommendation) in addition to an interview.
Contact: Okayama University Admission Center