Procedures for Entry into Japan for New International Students≪Procedures of border measuresare are currently suspended as strengthening new measure.≫
updated on December 1, 2020
On September 25, 2020, the GOJ (Govenment of Japan) announced that, in principle, the holders of Statuses of Residence of “Student”, “Dependent” and others from all countries and regions are permitted to enter Japan from October 1, 2020, under the condition that the person is hosted by a university or company/entity that can assure observation of quarantine measures.
When you enter Japan, please observe the following;
- The foreign student must undergo a test for the novel coronavirus within 72 hours before departure from his or her country and must obtain a test certificate that proves that the test was “negative.”(Those from countries or regions subject to Denial of permission to entry only)
- The foreign student must possess private medical insurance (including travel insurance that will cover medical expenses during the time you are in Japan) at the time of entry into Japan.
- For 14 days (counting from the next day of your arrival) after entry into Japan, the foreign student must remain isolated in shelter at home or accommodation/hotel, and must not have contact with any unspecified person(s).
- For 14 days (counting from the next day of your arrival)after entry into Japan, means of transport are restricted to the following: an owner-driven car, a rented car, or a hired taxi (limousine taxi).
- The foreign student must report his or her health condition every day to Professor (Supervisor) in Okayama university by the method specified by the faculty member.
- The foreign student must install the contact-confirming app designated by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare into the smartphone, and must use the functions of this app for 14 days (counting from the next day of your arrival) after entry into Japan.
- The foreign student must begin to save locational information using the functions of the map app in the smartphone, and must save the locational information for 14 days (counting from the next day of your arrival) after entry into Japan.
- The foreign student must report their immigration information (Landing date, landing airport, means of transportation, standby location, private medical insurance certificate, etc.) to the university.
- The foreign student must comply with other measures or instructions given by Okayama University as well as other epidemic control measures by Japanese government.
※As for the countries and regions subject to landing denial,
please check the website of the Ministry of Justice
※14 days after entry means the period counting the day of entry into Japan as the day 0.
(Example): In the case of entry into Japan on December 1, you will need to remain in
isolation in your home, etc. until December 15. (you will be free from December 16th)
※It is possible that he or she may be liable to cancellation of his or her status
of residence and may be deported in the case of a violation of the above
agreed items or a false statement.
※Current procedures for entry into Japan are subject to change due to the spread of
infection with the new coronavirus.
Please be sure to check the e-mail from Okayama University and the home page of
the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
＜Procedures before Departure＞
１． Please read “Application form for the issue of a Pledge for entering Japan”(Reference 1)carefully and fill in the “only the fields filled by students” and check it. After checking it, please sign it and send it to your advising professor, requesting him or her to send you (a copy of) the pledge.
The forms for “In the Case of Countries or Regions Subject to Denial of permission to entry” and “In the Case of Countries or Regions not Subject to Denial of permission to entry” are different.
２．When you obtain (a copy of) the pledge from your advising professor, print it out on two sheets of paper (This is necessary for the issue of your visa and at the time of your entry into Japan).
３．Have your visa issued at the Embassy or a Consulate of Japan of the country or region you are residing in.
４．Registration of information for entry into Japan, etc.
５．Record your body temperature for 14 days before your entry into Japan.
６． Take out private medical insurance (including travel insurance that covers medical expenses during the time you are in Japan).
７．People who have resided in countries or regions subject to Denial of permission to entry within 14 days before entry into Japan must undergo a test for COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) at a medical institute within 72 hours before departing from the country or region of residence and obtain a test certificate that proves a “negative” result for COVID-19. (Reference 2)
８．Please confirm the detailed procedures for entry into Japan by referring to the following links and ensure that you take all measures necessary.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs website 「Procedures to be Followed and Forms to be Submitted for Entry into/Return to Japan (Countries and Regions which are Subject to Denial of Permission to Entry)」【must-read】
Ministry of Foreign Affairs website「Procedures to be Followed and Forms to be Submitted for Entry into/Return to Japan (Countries and Regions which are not Subject to Denial of Permission to Entry)」【must-read】
＜Arrangements for the accomodation/hotel for isolation, and means of transportation from the airport＞
It is possible, using AMARYS, to reserve a 14-day hotel room for your isolation period, and to make arrangements for travel, etc. within Japan.
We strongly recommend that you use AMARYS for those arrangements in order to have a smooth entry into Japan and be able to spend your 14-day isolation period with the assurance that all will go well.
＜Health Follow-up using the Smartphone App （Reference 3）＞
- During the 14 days ( 15 nights and 16 days start from the date of arrival) of the quarantine period, as well as installing the contact-confirming app designated by MHLW, you must also report your health situation to your advising professor each day(body temperature, if you have cough, and etc.), without fail, and save your location data using the map app. The university will provide you with a smartphone for this purpose. Please ensure that you pick up the smartphone at the designated location after you enter Japan, and please ensure that you carry the smartphone with you at all times during the isolation period.
- As soon as you know the phone number of your smartphone, please tell your advising professor your phone number so that you and your advising professor can contact each other by LINE.
- Please, without fail, use the LINE app that has been installed in the smartphone to communicate with your advising professor.Please take care to make firm arrangements with your advising professor about the times for reports, etc.
- Please note that all use of the smartphone other than the use of the LINE app for communications with your advising professor will be at your own personal expense.
- The LINE app, MHLW contact-confirming app and the map app will already be installed in the smartphone.
＜Documents handed out in the aircraft＞
Fill in the necessary items on the “Questionnaire” (Reference 4) which would hand out in the aircraft (You need to state Your self-isolation location after entering Japan and your advising professor’s mobile phone number, etc.).
→Since you will be asked to fill in the “Questionnaire” which would handed out in the aircraft, please ensure that, before your departure you are in possession of your advising professor’s mobile phone number and email address as a contact in Japan.
＜Means of transport from the airport＞
It is not permitted to use public transport for 14 days (15 nights and 16 days from the arrival date) after entry into Japan, but it is possible to use an owner-driven car, a hired limousine car, or a rented car. People wishing to use a hired limousine car can make a request for arrangements through AMARYS. In addition, if you make arrangements yourself, please use a hired limousine car that meets the criteria.
＜Reference and related website＞Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare website 「Q&A on drastic strengthening of border measures」
Reference 1：Application form for the issue of a Pledge for entering Japan
Reference 2：Certificate of Testing for COVID-19
Reference 3：Health Follow-up using the Smartphone App