Daily Campus Life


Checking Notifications

Okayama University offers international students a wide range of support and services to help enrich their study abroad experience.
Notifications are occasionally sent to international students by various offices. These notifications are posted on bulletin boards outside of the Center for Global Partnerships and Education, your faculty, the Career Development Center, and other relevant buildings and offices.
Please be sure to regularly check these bulletin boards for notifications containing important information. Not keeping up to date with the latest notifications may result in missing out on some important information.

Notifications are also sent to your university e-mail account (Gmail account). You can have this information sent to your private e-mail account as well by implementing "E-mail Forwarding Settings".

Also, please check the following Facebook page for information about events, scholarships, and notifications from the Center for Global Partnerships and Education.

Checking the Okayama University Website

Emergency information may also be posted on the Okayama University website. During an emergency, please try to check the Okayama University website as frequently as possible.

Emergency Numbers

Police: Dial 110 (no area code needed/toll-free) to report a crime or traffic accident.

Fire Department: Dial 119 (no area code needed/toll-free) to report a fire or request an ambulance.

Dialing these numbers anywhere in Japan will connect you with the nearest police or fire department, 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
You can also use your cell phone to dial these numbers (no area code needed).

Student Commuter Pass

Undergraduate and graduate students (regular students) can buy a student commuter pass by showing a “Commuter Pass Issuance Permit”, which is issued by the Student Support Division located on the second floor of the General Education Building A. Student in the Divisions of Medicine and Dentistry should apply for a pass permit at the relevant office in their faculty or graduate school.

Part-time Jobs

International students in Japan with a student visa are, as a rule, not allowed to work, or do any other activity that is unrelated to their studies. However, students who have difficulty paying tuition fees and living expenses on an allowance alone can work for up to 28 hours a week. These students need to apply for "Permission to Engage in Activity Other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence" at their local Immigration Bureau. During holidays, the daily working hour limit is eight hours.
If you wish to take on a part-time job, you should first discuss with your academic advisor and ask for his/her and receive permission, and then apply for permission directly at the Immigration Bureau.

To apply, you will need the following documents.

  1. Application for Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted Application Form (You can download it from the Ministry of Justice website, or get a paper copy from the International Affairs Office.)
  2. Passport
  3. Residence Card

Although the work hour limit during extended holidays is up to eight hours a day, students should not work so hard that it interferes with their studies or health.

Students are not allowed to work in adult entertainment or related businesses (e.g., bars, “snack” pubs, nightclubs, pachinko parlors, mahjong halls, and video game arcades).

In order to comfortably settle into life in Japan, the University recommends not working part time during the first three months of your arrival.

Please be sure to always discuss your plans with and receive permission to work from your academic advisor.

While working part-time, you must carry with you either your “Residence Card” or a copy of your “Permission to Engage in Activity Other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted”.

Lost and Found

If you lose something on campus, please contact the Student Support Division as well as the Academic Affairs Division. Similarly, if you find lost property on campus, please bring it to the Student Support Division or the Academic Affairs Division of the student’s department.
If you lose or find something off campus, please notify the nearest police station (Koban).

Using the University Library

Degree students can show their student ID to enter the university library and borrow books. Research students, exchange students, and Japanese studies students can apply for a user card at the library’s reference desk.

Library Hours (during school periods)
Central Library Monday – Friday 8:40 ~ 23:00
Saturday & Sunday 10:00 ~ 18:00
Shikata Branch Library Monday – Friday 9:00 ~ 21:00
Saturday 9:00 ~ 17:00
Institute of Plant Science and Resources Branch Library Monday - Friday 9:00 ~ 17:00
THe university library is closed on
  • Saturdays and Sundays during vacations
  • National holidays during vacations
  • Year-end through New Year Holidays
  • Irregular closing for shelf checking

※For details, please check the Library Hours.
University Library

Using University Computers

Approximately 1,000 personal computers are installed for educational use at various locations throughout the university. They are administered by the Center for Information Technology and Management and can be used freely by students of an undergraduate or graduate course at Okayama University without having to undertake any usage registration procedures. Students must input their personal user ID and password in order to log on to these computers. A password notification form will be distributed to newly entering students at the orientation, following the school entrance ceremony. Research students and exchange students need to apply individually for an ID and password at the Center for Information Technology and Management. Please check the link below for further details.

Cafeteria/Store (operated by the University Co-op)

The Okayama University Tsushima campus has cafeterias and a restaurant offering meals for lower prices than restaurants or coffee shops located off campus. The Campus store (the University Co-op) is a consumer co-operative that sells textbooks, dictionaries, books, stationery, computers and other products useful for university life (the University Co-op membership costs 4,000 yen, and is refunded upon graduation).

The Okayama University Shikata campus has many restaurants, bookstores and other stores on and off campus.

※The University Co-op offers Halal Food on both campuses.

Name Hours Features
Muscat Cafeteria
Weekdays: 10:00-22:00
Weekends & Holidays:
Self-serve cafeteria
Peach Cafeteria
Weekdays: 8:00-18:30 (2F)
Weekends & Holidays: 11:00-14:00 (2F)
Weekdays: 11:00-13:30 (3F)
Weekends & Holidays: Closed (3F)
Self-serve cafeteria
Peach Union
Muscat Union
Pine Union
Mon-Fri: 10:00-18:00
Weekends & Holidays: Closed
Supports students by offering food and various items essential for daily life, stationary and books (including
textbooks), as well as computers and
electronic dictionaries. It also processes applications for driving schools and accepts travel reservations. By becoming a University Co-op member, you can receive a discount when buying books. (A membership fee is charged.)