Okayama University


Health and Safety

Staying Healthy

1. The Okayama University Health Service Center

The Okayama University Health Service Center provides a range of support and services for students so that they can stay healthy and concentrate on their studies. The following services are available for free for university students: medical consultations and examinations, administration of medication, treatment of injuries.
The Center provides physical and mental health care services for students and staff of the university.
Please feel free to drop by the Health Service Center when you are injured/hurt, feel ill, are worried about your health, would like to have a medical checkup (height, weight, body fat rate, blood pressure, bone density), or want some information on staying healthy in your daily life (diet and exercise, etc.). All private matters such as the details of any disease you have, your health records and medical information are kept strictly confidential.
The Center can also provide referrals to clinics or hospitals as required.
 Service Hours: 8:30am - 5:00pm
(Phone: 086-251-7223)
Office hours (8:30 - 17:00 on weekdays)
For treatment or consultations at night and during the holidays, please use the medical facilities near the university.
You can also request to receive a health certificate after your medical examination free of charge, as required.
Please note that the consultation times are subject to change, according to the circumstances.

Health Center Services

  1. Periodical medical examination
     April: For all students
     October: For international students who came to Japan in the Autumn of that year
  2. Special medical examination required for particular physical education courses or extracurricular activities
  3. Health consultation (physical, mental)
  4. Health education
  5. Health care for sick students
  6. First aid
  7. Issuing of health certificates (for students who received a medical examination)
  8. Other health-related matters

You do not need to have/bring a National Health Insurance Card when visiting the Health Center, and there are no medical fees for consultations, etc.
Please note that the consultation times are subject to change, according to the circumstances.

Health Service Center: Schedule of clinics

Health Checkups

An International Student Health Checkup is carried out for all international students in April and October each year. We recommend that all students take advantage of this opportunity, as health checkups for exchange students, Japanese studies students, and research students are available only twice a year.

2. National Health Insurance

All persons who have a College Student visa status for more than 3 months must enroll in National Health Insurance. Applications are accepted at the municipal office of the city (town, village) where you live. Insurance premiums vary according to your income. Please enquire at your local municipal office (in many cases, international students with a limited income in Japan can receive a reduction in the monthly premium after completing the necessary procedures.)
National Health Insurance covers 70% of your medical costs. Individuals must pay the 30% balance to the treatment center. A National Health Insurance card must be presented at the reception of the medical treatment center you visit.

Example: In the case of a medical fee costing 10,000 yen:
10,000 yen × 0.7= 7,000 yen (National Health Insurance covers 70% of the medical fees)
10,000 yen × 0.3= 3,000 yen (you pay 30% of the medical fees)

3. Personal Accident Insurance for Students and Additional Indemnity Insurance

  1. Personal Accident Insurance for Students Pursuing Education and Research
    Indemnification will be paid when a student is injured during curricular activities, school events, university-affiliated extracurricular activities, and when commuting between school facilities.
  2. Additional Indemnity Insurance
    Indemnification will be paid when a student injures or causes injury to a third party during curricular activities, school events, university-affiliated volunteer activities, and when commuting between the university and volunteer activities.

    Plan A: Curricular activities, school events, and commuting to school (including the coverage of Plan B)

    Plan B: Internship, nursing care recognized as an extracurricular activity, teaching practice, child-care practice, volunteer activities, and when commuting to and from the sites of such activities recognized by the university as curricular activities, school events, or university-affiliated extracurricular activities.

    Plan C: (for medical students) Curricular activities, school events and commuting to school (including the coverage of Plan B)

    + All undergraduate and graduate students (regular students only) of Okayama University must purchase insurance coverage from Plan A, B, or C.
    + Okayama University students purchase Plan A (Medical students are insured by Plan C)
  3. For further information, please contact the Student Support Division in the Academic Affairs Department. (Phone: 086-251-7185)

4. Insurance offered by the University CO-OP and Additional Indemnity Insurance

  1. Student Mutual Benefit
    This is mutual aid for personal injury and illness.
  2. Personal Liability Insurance for Students
     This compensates a third party for injury or damage to a third party’s property caused by the policy holder.
  3. For further information, please contact the University CO-OP.
     Phone: 086-251-7207

5. Living Safely

Preparing for Natural Disasters

While natural disasters cannot be avoided, we can minimize damage by being prepared.


Japan is prone to earthquakes. It is important to stay calm during an earthquake. To avoid problems during emergencies, it is a good idea to check in advance where the evacuation areas are located both at the university and in your neighborhood.
Preparing an emergency kit at home is also effective. You should pack items that will be useful during an evacuation, such as emergency food, a helmet, a radio, and sneakers. Remember it isn’t enough to just pack a kit; you should also regularly inspect the contents to check that the food items have not exceeded their expiration date, and to replenish any items that are missing.

(2)Typhoons and Torrential Rain

Typhoons occur in Japan between May and November, bringing strong winds and heavy rain. They come closest to Japan between August and October, with some even moving inland. During torrential rains, a large amount of rain falls over a small area. These heavy rains and thunder can occur at any time of the day and last for several hours.
Recently, some areas have seen a type of torrential rain referred to as “guerrilla downpours,” which sometimes cause damage. In either situation, you should keep a close eye on the news and check whether public transportation is operating. Also, move items on your veranda indoors so that they are not blown away, and shut the door and all windows to keep rain from seeping in.

(3)Preventing Theft

Theft and luggage lifting can occur on campus. Please take care not to leave your personal items unattended, even momentarily. Always keep valuables with you.
Even when at home, keep your door locked at all times, and check who’s visiting before opening the door. It’s also a good idea to put an additional lock on your door and windows.

In Case of Theft

In case of theft on campus, promptly notify the Center for Global Partnerships and Education or your faculty office.
In case of theft off campus, please call the police on “110” (also can be called from mobile phones) or report it to a nearby Koban police box.
If your credit card or bankbook is stolen, you must contact the credit card company or bank immediately and notify them of the theft.

(4)Preventing Fires

You should choose heating appliances after having fully understood the different types and the precautions required in handling them. If you receive a secondhand heating appliance from a friend or buy one at a recycling shop, you should confirm it is safe before using it. Be sure to also take sufficient care when cooking so as not to start a fire.

In Case of a Fire

  • (1) Yell “Kaji da (fire)!” and alert your neighbors. Press the emergency alarm if there is one.
  • (2) Call the fire department on“119”. It is a good idea to ask someone close by to make the call for you.
  • (3) Try first-aid firefighting. If the flames are below your height and the fire is within two minutes of starting, try to put it out using a fire extinguisher, water, or a wet blanket.

But if the fire continues to grow, stop your firefighting efforts and evacuate immediately.

(5)In Case of a Car Accident

If you are involved in a car accident, always call the police on “110” (also can be called from mobile phones) and provide them with the following information.
Once the police officer arrives, please tell him/her the following information:

  • (1) Explain what happened in a simple manner such as “Jiko desu” (There’s been an accident)
  • (2) The time of the accident
  • (3) The place of the accident (If you are not sure about the address, give a landmark near you.)
  • (4) Your name
  • (5) The phone number you are using

In the event of a traffic accident, if the person at fault (the other driver) tries to reach a private settlement with you then and there (resolving the incident through negotiation), do not agree. You may not notice any injuries immediately after the accident, but physical pain and other aftereffects may emerge later on. Agreeing to a private settlement without calling the police could be a disadvantage for you the victim, as the police will not issue a certificate of the accident, and you cannot claim insurance benefits without it.
Please also report any accidents to your academic advisor.

(6)Bicycle Accidents

More people are riding bicycles along with a growing awareness of health and the environment, Unfortunately, not all roads in Japan are necessarily friendly to cyclists. In recent years, there has been an increase in the number of collisions between cars and bicycle, bicycle and pedestrians, and between bicycles. Moreover, these accidents are becoming more serious. There was a case in which an international student at Okayama University collided with a car near their lodging.
Please be careful when riding a bicycle so as not to allow any such accident interfere with your studies.

In Case of a Bicycle Accident

First, you should help the victim. Then call the police. Even if the other person’s (or your own) injuries are minor, always exchange contact information. Please also report any accidents to your academic advisor.