Message from the Director of the Department
The Department for Gastroenterological/Liver Internal Medicine is the new name for the former Department of Internal Medicine 1 because of reorganization undertaken by each organization. We specialize in all areas of gastrointestinal diseases represented by malignant diseases including gastrointestinal tract, liver, and biliary/pancreatic diseases, inflammatory bowel disease, H. pylori diagnosis (specialized outpatient), and diseases such as cholangitis, pancreatitis, hepatitis, and cirrhosis. We work on developing the pillars of our practice: high-quality medical treatment, research clarifying questions arising from clinical practices by conducting basic research and applying the results to clinical practices, and education to develop superior clinicians. Moreover, we attempt to provide optimum care to patients not only at our clinic, but also in close cooperation with related hospitals and practical doctors.
Director, Gastroenterology and Hepatology DepartmentMotoyuki Otsuka
Scope of Target Diseases
○ Upper gastrointestinal tract: pharyngeal cancer, esophageal cancer, gastric cancer, malignant lymphomas if the gastrointestinal tract, gastroesophageal reflux disease, Helicobacter pylori infection, esophageal varices, gastric ulcers, duodenal ulcers, esophageal dysmotility, esophagus achalasia, functional gastrointestinal disorder, eosinophilic esophagitis, infectious esophagitis, gastrointestinal submucosal tumors, etc.
○ Lower gastrointestinal tract: colonic polyps, colorectal cancer, colitis ulcerosa, Crohn’s disease, intestinal Behcet’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, chronic constipation, appendicitis, appendiceal tumor, intestinal obstruction, etc.
○ Small intestine: small intestinal cancer, small intestinal hemorrhage, protein-losing syndrome, nonspecific intestinal ulcers, etc.
○ Liver: hepatitis B, hepatitis C, non-alcoholic steatohepatitis, fulminant hepatitis, hepatocellular carcinomas, autoimmune hepatitis, drug-induced liver disease, primary biliary cholangitis, primary sclerosing cholangitis, etc.
○ Bile/pancreas: gallbladder cancer, cholelithiasis, biliary tract infection, anomalous arrangement of the pancreaticobiliary ducts, pancreatic cancer, acute pancreatitis, chronic pancreatitis, pancreatic endocrine tumor, biliary malignant disease, tumors of the duodenal papilla, intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm, autoimmune pancreatitis, etc.
Features and Description of Medical Care
The Department of Gastroenterological Medicine specializes in gastrointestinal diseases, liver diseases, and diseases of the biliary tract/pancreas. Our endoscopic medical care includes providing endoscopic diagnoses with high precision and aggressive endoscopic treatment. We provide specialized outpatient service and medical service in cooperation with the Department of Bacteriology and Pathology for Helicobacter pylori infection. We are also introducing per-oral endoscopic myotomy ahead of other hospitals in the Chugoku and Shikoku regions for medical treatment. Our IBD center provides medical care for inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease) and the latest specialized treatment in accordance with the condition of patients. For liver diseases, we have specifically examined the development and enforcement of novel therapies including clinical trials for the treatment of hepatitis B and C. We often carry out radiofrequency ablation for liver cancer, along with up-to-date treatments such as hepatic arterial infusion and molecular targeted drugs. For pancreatic carcinoma and biliary tract cancer, chemotherapy is often performed in cooperation with the Department of Surgery before and after surgery. In addition, biliary stenosis is frequently treated with endoscopic treatment such as stent indwelling and the removal of common bile duct stones.