Message from the Director of the Department
It is said that 80% of a person’s information is collected visually. Therefore, it is important to maintain good vision capability to lead a healthy and quality-filled life. We ophthalmologists practice daily with the mission of protecting the eye health of patients. At the ophthalmology department at Okayama University Hospital, specialists in each disease provide cutting-edge medical care using the latest testing and treatment equipment. We are also engaged in the treatment of rare and intractable diseases, visual rehabilitation, and the development and research of new treatments for the future.
◇Please see below for more information.
Ophthalmology DepartmentYuki Morizane
Scope of Target Diseases
1. Retinal diseases: Diabetic retinopathy, Age-related macular degeneration, Retinal detachment, Epiretinal membrane, Macular hole, Eye trauma, Retinopathy of prematurity.
We perform surgery (vitrectomy), drug treatment (anti-vascular endothelial growth factor, steroids), and laser treatment using the latest equipment. We are also actively responding to ophthalmic emergencies.
We perform accurate diagnosis using the latest inspection equipment. By combining drug treatment, laser treatment and surgery, we strive to improve treatment results so that visual function can be maintained for a long period of time.
3. Strabismus and amblyopia
We provide orthoptics training and surgical treatment. Regarding strabismus surgery, we perform minimally invasive surgery, aiming for rapid postoperative recovery.
4. Eye inflammation（uveitis）
We perform drug therapy using steroids and molecular-targeted drugs, and also perform vitreous surgery depending on the patient’s medical condition.
In addition to age-related cataracts, we also support congenital cataracts and difficult cataract surgery.
6. Visual rehabilitation
For people with impaired visual function, we select auxiliary tools such as magnifying glasses, provide information related to education and welfare, consultation on daily life, schooling, employment, etc., and introduce related facilities.
Features and Description of Medical Care
Some features of our department are presented below.
1) Introducing the latest testing and treatment technology, specialists in each disease provide cutting-edge medical care.
2) We have a system for accepting patients who must be hospitalized, so you can receive inpatient treatment with peace of mind. We try to help patients get back into society as soon as possible.
3) For patients suffering from other illnesses, we have established a system that allows us to take advantage of the general hospital and to provide medical care in collaboration with other clinical departments.
4) We are actively accepting ophthalmic emergency patients from Okayama prefecture. We have a system in place to handle night-time emergency patients.
5) We have created a medical care network with related hospitals and clinics in the Chugoku–Shikoku region, with which we strive to ensure that patients receive high-quality medical care throughout the wide area.
We the staff of the Ophthalmology Department strive every day toward reliable and high-quality medical care suitable for patients’ needs for their best satisfaction. We also disseminate the latest information, which attracts attention not only in Japan, but throughout the world by active presentation in academic meetings and publications. We strive to reflect results of recent research on daily medical care. We believe that it is our duty to provide state-of-the-art medical care for our patients in this rapidly evolving world of medicine. Our department shall always sustain our efforts every day toward reliable and high-quality medical care, and diligently provide reliable medical care for outpatients, making them happier people.