Message from the Director of the Department
Orthopedic surgeons specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the bones, cartilage, muscles, joints, ligaments, and nerves (musculoskeletal system) including trauma services, elucidating morbidity and developing new solutions for patients with musculoskeletal problems. Okayama University Hospital has a general orthopedic outpatient clinic as well as special outpatient clinics with orthopedic experts. The Orthopedics Department is committed to delivering state-of-the-art treatment for musculoskeletal conditions of all types. It has a number of sub-specialties providing team health care as a special group. All operations and inpatient cases are analyzed thoroughly and discussed by all medical staff in the Department at a morning conference twice a week.
Department of Orthopaedic SurgeryToshifumi Ozaki
Scope of Target Diseases
Bone and Soft Tissue Tumors: primary benign/malignant tumors, metastatic tumors of bones and soft tissues, etc.
Joint Surgery: osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, degenerative diseases of meniscus and cartilage, avascular necrosis of the femoral heads, acetabular dysplasia, femoro-acetabular impingement, etc.
Spinal Surgery: pediatric/adult spinal deformities, spine and spinal cord tumors, ossification of the anterior/posterior longitudinal ligaments, disc herniation, spinal stenosis, degenerative spine diseases, spinal cord injuries, etc.
Pediatric Orthopedics: developmental dysplasia of the hip, clubfoot, muscular torticollis, skeletal dysplasia, etc.
Sports Injuries: sports injuries and trauma of shoulders, elbows, knees, and feet, ligament rupture, meniscus injuries, etc.
Hand and Upper Limb Surgery: congenital hand disorders, peripheral neuropathy, disorders caused by rheumatoid arthritis, tendon rupture in shoulders and hands, etc.
Trauma: fracture of the upper limbs, lower limbs, and pelvis, dislocation, rupture of ligaments and tendons, pseudarthrosis, osteomyelitis, etc.
Foot and Ankle Surgery: hallux valgus, ankle osteoarthritis, flatfoot, ankle instability, osteochondral lesion of the talus, etc.
Rheumatic Diseases: rheumatoid arthritis, spondyloarthritis, gouty arthritis, SAPHO syndrome, etc.
Features and Description of Medical Care
1. Bone and Soft Tissue Tumors: Treatment of primary malignant tumors, metastatic tumors of bones and soft tissues (removal and reconstruction, etc.)
2. Rheumatology: Drug management in rheumatoid arthritis such as biologic agents, arthroplasty including joint replacement of shoulders, elbows, wrist joints, fingers, knee and foot joints, nerve/tendon surgery in upper extremities, arthroscopic synovectomy, etc.
3. Hip Surgery: total hip arthroplasty, rotational acetabular osteotomy, hip arthroscopy, etc.
4. Knee sports, knee arthroplasty: meniscus tear, ACL injury, knee osteoarthritis, arthroscopy.
5.Spinal Surgery: A wide variety of spinal surgery ranging from general procedures to complex surgeries including corrections in spinal deformities, removal of spinal tumors, and symptomatic spinal disorders. Providing the leading edge of techniques using advanced equipment and collaborating closely with a multidisciplinary team of doctors in several areas.
6. Pediatric Orthopaedics: Open reduction for developmental dysplasia of the hip, clubfoot correction using plaster casts and Achilles tenotomy, etc.
7. Sports Injuries: Arthroscopic surgery for shoulders, elbows, hips, knees and feet, ligament repair/reconstruction, meniscus repair, etc.
8. Hand and Upper Limb Surgery:Functional reconstruction of shoulders, elbows, and hand, and sports medicine for upper extremity(ex: arthroscopic surgery, Tommy John Surgery, etc), etc.
9. Trauma: Providing exceptional care for widely various complex trauma surgeries including acetabular/pelvic fracture surgery and intra-articular fracture surgery as well as surgical treatment for difficult fractures.
10. Foot and Ankle Surgery: Surgical correction for hallux valgus and flatfoot, arthrodesis/arthroplasty for ankle osteoarthritis, etc.
11. Rehabilitation: Functional recovery from diseases such as motor disorders, respiratory diseases, cardiovascular diseases, neurosurgical diseases, etc.